Thursday 9 March 2017

Dear February...

I have now been at uni for 5 months, and at the end of every month I have been convinced that it has been the best month so far, but I will be very lucky to have a month that is better than February was - it was amazing. 

February started off in Amsterdam, which is never a bad place to start a month. I went with people from my course as an end of exams celebration, and I have honestly never laughed so much. Of the 4 nights we spent there, I only slept for 2, and I consumed more pizza and McDonalds than someone should in their whole life, but it was so worth it. Amsterdam is beautiful (not sure it beats my all time favourite city - Paris, but it certainly gives it some competition), and I definitely want to go back when I am not delirious from lack of sleep and too poor to do some of the tourist attractions. My highlights were definitely going to the Anne Frank House (ticked that off my bucket list), and going on a canal cruise. I honestly think that everyone should visit Amsterdam at some point in their lives. It's such a diverse city, like nowhere I have ever been before, and I promise you get used to the constant smell of weed eventually. 

When we got back from Amsterdam, we started 6 new modules in lectures, and once I accepted that I actually have to do maths again (I'm allergic to numbers), I realised that most of my modules this term are things that I enjoy, and aspects of business that I find interesting (except maths, obvs).

My sister came up midway through the month with a friend, and we gave them a tour of the campus, and then my friend and I went to dinner with them and my parents which was nice - we greatly appreciated the free food. 


Absolutely buzzing to be sat in the Dam sign
The day after that I found out that I will (hopefully, if I keep my grades up) be spending my second year abroad in Canada at an amazing University, which I still cannot believe, and probably will not believe until I am on a plane somewhere over the Atlantic. I worked so hard to get there, and I am so glad that it paid off, I just hope that it wasn't some sort of fluke and that I can do the same this term. That day was full of smiles, as well as tears, and finding out half an hour before I started work was not ideal, as I had to put my professional head on when all I wanted to do was celebrate. That night, however, we went to my favourite bar and I definitely celebrated. A couple of days after that, I got my first semester marks back, which were a lot better than I thought, and the celebrations continued, especially as all of my course mates did really well too (v proud of them). 

I spent two weekends at home in February. One to celebrate my Pap's (Grandad for all of you who don't speak Northamptonshire) birthday, which was so nice as I got to see all of my family. The other weekend I took my best friend home with me as her hometown was playing mine at rugby, and we had a fab weekend filled with trampolining, eating and shopping. I also got to catch up with some of my friends from dance and work at home, which was really nice. 

At the end of the month the baby of our group finally turned 18, so we celebrated that, which was so much fun.

As well as these personal highlights, I feel like February was a pretty good month for all of my friends too. One got a semester abroad in Singapore, one got into an amazing social enterprise and a sick internship (which may have technically been in March but I can't remember), and everyone did well in their exams, as well as other things which I have probably forgotten. I am super proud of them all. 

So, overall, it was a pretty amazing month. A lot of things happened that completely overwhelmed me, and, I just remembered that I got Ed Sheeran tickets at the beginning of the month - I know you're jealous. March, you have a lot to live up to...

No comments:

Post a Comment