Wednesday 30 August 2017

Welcome to Montreal!

omg, I am in Canada. I have been here four days and I'm still having to remind myself that I am actually here, and I'm staying for a year. It's been such a busy few days sorting bank accounts, phone contracts and all that good stuff, but it's also been some of the best days of my life. I've met lovely people, seen some amazing places, and I am so excited for what is in store for me here.
After landing on Saturday I made my way to my house, which is in Downtown Montreal. As a village gal, I was and still completely am in awe of the skyscrapers and the vastness of the city - it's huge. I met my housemates and we explored the city by night.
Sunday was a day of admin, but also a day of exploration. Jet lag hit and I woke up at 6am, but it meant that I had a long and productive day, we even went to Walmart which really made me feel like I was in an American TV show.
Monday was pretty chill. I got to know more people and we climbed up Mont Royal, which has the most beautiful view of the city. I've never seen anything like it, and it made me quite emotional, as this has been such a long time coming and now I am finally here!
Yesterday we had Discover McGill day, which was basically orientation. It was the most stereotypically American thing I have ever experienced but I loved it. We spent the evening at OAP (Open Air Pub, not Old Aged Pensioner), which was so cool. The food was cheap and the company was good. 
It's now Wednesday and we are planning on going down to the river this afternoon and relaxing tonight before frosh (freshers), which might actually kill me off. Classes start next week and I am really looking forward to starting and getting into my routine, as well as joining societies and getting to know more of Montreal and Canada.

In terms of feelings so far, I am loving it. The jet lag has pretty much gone, and most of my main worries haven't been a problem at all. I have met lovely people from all over the world in my house who I'm sure I will get really close to over the next few weeks and months and I'm excited to meet more on my course and at clubs. I was worried about missing my friends from Nottingham, which I do and will continue to do all year, but I'm glad to have met people here who will be there for me during this phase of my life, and I'm so lucky to now have friends back home, in Canada and around the whole world. I have some provisional travel plans which are getting me so excited, and I am already planning where to take my family when the come over in October. I am excited to start learning (although not for exams, as it seems a lot harder to do well here). There have been some slight feelings of homesickness but it's been more because I have been with my family at home since June, so i just need to get used to being away again which won't take long, I'm already pretty comfortable here. More than anything, I am feeling lucky. Lucky to be here, lucky to have a family that will support me here, and lucky to have an amazing support system both here and in the UK. Bring on the rest of the year!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're having such a good time! Xxx

    ReplyDelete